Doctors save man suffering life-threatening allergic reaction

The 34-year-old Indian national arrived at hospital with severe blisters all over his skin

The patient was suffering from severe blisters, similar to burns, all over his body. Bloomberg
The patient was suffering from severe blisters, similar to burns, all over his body. Bloomberg

A Dubai man suffering from a life-threatening allergic reaction was saved by the reaction of quick-thinking medics.

Doctors at Zulekha Hospital in Sharjah realised the 34-year-old Indian national was experiencing a potentially fatal reaction to his medication.

Arriving at hospital, medics realised the man had a rare and serious skin disorder known as Stevens Johnson Syndrome.

He was suffering from severe blisters, similar to burns, all over his body, including around his eyes and throat.

“This severe drug allergy termed Stevens Johnson Syndrome is a rare phenomenon," said Dr Aswathi Prasad, a specialist dermatologist at Zulekha Hospital.

“Early diagnosis and treatment can prevent loss of vision or sepsis, multi-organ damage or even the death of the patient.”

Dr Aswathi Prasad described how the syndrome could sometimes be mistaken for flu or a viral fever.

Fortunately, medics were able to identify his condition quickly and take appropriate steps to address the problem.

“Due to the timely diagnosis and management, the condition was under control and patient was discharged with all skin lesions healed in two weeks,” the hospital said in a statement.

“We are glad he did not develop any complications like sepsis, [or] eye complications like scarring or loss of vision,” said Dr Prasad.

Published: June 27, 2019 03:26 PM

SHARE

Editor's Picks
NEWSLETTERS
Sign up to:

* Please select one