James Ward-Prowse free kick caps stunning Southampton fightback against Tottenham

Kane had given Spurs the lead at St Mary's before Valery bundled in a 76th-minute equaliser

Southampton's James Ward-Prowse celebrates scoring the winning goal against Tottenham. Reuters
Southampton's James Ward-Prowse celebrates scoring the winning goal against Tottenham. Reuters

Tottenham Hotspur were stunned by a late Southampton comeback as they crashed to a 2-1 Premier League defeat at St Mary's.

Spurs, title challengers a fortnight ago, now face a battle to stay in the top four after a fourth league match without a win.

Harry Kane put them ahead after finishing a cross from the returning Dele Alli for a seventh goal in his last five games against Saints.

But Yan Valery bundled in a 76th-minute equaliser before James Ward-Prowse added another exquisite free kick to his collection nine minutes from time.

"It is hard to put into words, we were lucky to get in at 1-0 at half time," said match-winner Ward-Prowse. "We changed a few things at the interval and got our rewards at the end.

"The manager told us to be a bit more aggressive, we sat off them a little in the first half. The second half epitomised everything he has done for us so far."

Tottenham midfielder Alli said: "It is disappointing. We performed well at the start but were not clinical enough. We dominated the game but could not kill it off."

Victory kept Southampton out of the relegation zone after Cardiff City secured a huge win of their own in the survival battle.

Neil Warnock's side were 2-0 winners at home to out-of-sorts West Ham United.

Junior Hoilett fired the hosts ahead after only four minutes and Victor Camarasa doubled their lead after the interval.

"We outworked them and we had a lot of quality on the ball," Warnock said. "We raised our level of performance today. We put things right on the pitch after a hard week in training."

Ayoze Perez scored twice as Newcastle United came from 2-0 down to beat Everton 3-2 at St James' Park.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison put Everton seemingly in control either side of Matt Ritchie's missed penalty for the hosts.

But Salomon Rondon pulled one back and Perez bagged a late brace to complete a remarkable turnaround.

The victory, Newcastle's fifth successive home win, moved Rafa Benitez's side up to 13th place in the table six points clear of relegation.

"What an amazing feeling," Perez said. "Such a great comeback. There are still a few games to go but we are closer [to safety].

"The reaction was very good from the team in the second half. That togetherness with the fans took us to what we did on an amazing day at St James' Park."

Anthony Knockaert celebrates after scoring the winning goal for Brighton & Hove Albion against Crystal Palace. Getty Images
Anthony Knockaert celebrates after scoring the winning goal for Brighton & Hove Albion against Crystal Palace. Getty Images

A stunning Anthony Knockaert strike gave Brighton & Hove Albion a 2-1 victory against Crystal Palace.

Luka Milivojevic's penalty shortly after half time had cancelled out Glenn Murray's 20th-minute opener for the Seagulls, the Englishman's 100th league goal for the club.

But with 15 minutes remaining, Knockaert collected the ball on the touchline, cut inside Patrick van Aanholt and whipped an unstoppable curler into the top corner from the edge of the area.

Jamie Vardy brought up a century of Leicester City goals to sink struggling Fulham 3-1.

The Foxes took the lead when Vardy rounded Fulham goalkeeper Sergio Rico and unselfishly teed up Youri Tielemans for his first goal for the club.

Fulham substitute Floyd Ayite burst into the box and slotted home via a deflection off Harry Maguire to equalise.

But Vardy reached three figures with 78 minutes on the clock and added goal No 101 for good measure to secure a first win as Leicester manager for Brendan Rodgers and deepen Fulham's relegation worries.

"We're trying to win the ball back as quickly as possible. It’s definitely benefited me, but there’s a lot more hard work to come," Vardy said.

England striker Callum Wilson returned with a goal as Bournemouth shoved Huddersfield Town closer to the drop.

Wilson, who missed the last six matches with a knee injury, chested in a cross from Ryan Fraser at the far post.

Fraser added a second after the break as Wilson returned the favour with an inviting cross to wrap up a 2-0 win.

Updated: March 9, 2019 09:32 PM


Editor's Picks
Sign up to:

* Please select one