Am I banned from working in UAE if I resign after 15 months?

Keren Bobker helps a worker who has resigned due to low salary for someone with a bachelor of science degree.

I have been with my employer for one year and three months. I want to resign and have given one month’s notice. I have resigned as my salary is very low and the company does not care about its staff. I have a bachelor of science but am just working in sales. What can I do? Will I be banned from working in the UAE now? FM, Sharjah

If anyone leaves a job during the first two years they will automatically receive an employment ban of six months. This is generally fixed, but there are provisions in place for a ban to be lifted if someone moves job after having worked for an employer for a full calendar year. A six-month ban can be lifted if the employee moves to another job or company but with the same sponsor, such as in the same free zone, or moves to a job with a minimum salary of Dh5,000 for high school diploma holders; Dh7,000 for post-secondary school diploma holders, or Dh12,000 if they hold a bachelor’s degree. This means that to stay in the UAE, FM must find a new job with a basic salary of at least Dh12,000. These rules and provisions apply across the UAE, although there can be slight variations as to how they are applied in each emirate

Keren Bobker is an independent financial adviser with Holborn Assets in Dubai. Contact her at

The advice provided in our columns does not constitute legal advice and is provided for information only. Readers are encouraged to seek appropriate independent legal advice.

Follow us on Twitter @Ind_Insights

Published: May 18, 2014 04:00 AM


Most Read