English FA gives City and United Wednesday deadline to explain Old Trafford fracas

Reports that United manager Jose Mourinho and City goalkeeper Ederson confronted each other in the dressing room and City coach Mikel Arteta left with a head wound following melee

epa06381891 Manchester City's Ederson makes a double save from Manchester United's Zlatan Ibrahimovic (R) and Juan Mata (2ndR) during the English premier league soccer match between Manchester united and Manchester City at Old Trafford Stadium in Manchester, Britain, 10 December 2017.  EPA/Nigel Roddis EDITORIAL USE ONLY. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 75 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications
Powered by automated translation

The English Football Association has given Manchester United and Manchester City until Wednesday to reply to a request for observations following reports of ugly scenes after City's 2-1 win at Old Trafford.

United manager Jose Mourinho and City goalkeeper Ederson are reported to have had a confrontation after the game, while it is claimed Mourinho had milk and water thrown at him from the away dressing room. Although there was no visible evidence of this when the Portuguese conducted his post-match interviews after the alleged altercation took place.

The home side is understood to have taken exception to City's post-match celebrations and an altercation - involving up to 20 players and staff in the crowded corridor leading to the dressing rooms - is believed to have left City coach Mikel Arteta with a head wound.

Referee Michael Oliver did not witness the scenes, so the FA has not received a report on the matter from him.


Read more:


The incidents occurred after a fiery end to the much-anticipated clash.

An already feverish atmosphere threatened to boil over on the pitch in the closing minutes when United midfielder Ander Herrera was booked for diving in the box after a tackle by City defender Nicolas Otamendi.

"It is a huge penalty in a crucial moment of the game," Mourinho said.

Most neutral pundits, however, agreed with Oliver's decision.

City won with goals from David Silva and Otamendi, with Marcus Rashford replying for United. The victory was City's 14th in succession in the Premier League and extended their lead at the top of the table to 11 points.

Mourinho conceded afterwards that City's advantage in the title race was now at a "significant distance".

Asked if it could be clawed back, he said: "I don't know. We are going to work and fight for it. That is the only thing I say."

Having no time for Mourinho's moans, City manager Pep Guardiola said: "We won because we were better, in all departments."

Neither club has commented on what happened after the match yet.