US denies Syrian government claims of death of troops

Syrian state news agency had reported that a roadside bomb had killed American military personnel in country's north-east

Vehicles from the US-led coalition battling the Islamic State group patrol the town of Rmelane in Syria's Hasakeh province on June 5, 2018. The leading Syrian Kurdish militia said it would withdraw from Manbij, easing fears of a direct clash between NATO allies Washington and Ankara over the strategic northern town. Manbij is a Sunni Arab-majority town that lies just 30 kilometres (19 miles) south of the Turkish border, and where US and French troops belonging to the Western coalition against IS are stationed.  / AFP / Delil souleiman
Beta V.1.0 - Powered by automated translation

The US military said on Sunday that a report claiming four of its members were killed in north-eastern Syria is false.

The Syrian national news agency Sana reported earlier on Sunday that a roadside bomb blew up a US military vehicle on a road outside the town of Markada, between Hasakah and Deir Ezzor.

A spokesman for Operation Inherent Resolve, the US-led coalition fighting ISIS, Col Wayne Marotto, tweeted that all of its troops were accounted for and that the claims were false.

The US has about 500 troops in north-east Syria and works closely with the Syrian Democratic Forces, a group of opposition militias led by Kurdish units.

In September, the US Army sent more troops and equipment to north-east Syria.

NEWSLETTERS
MORE FROM THE NATIONAL