LONDON // Southampton manager Ronald Koeman admits France midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin is not in the right frame of mind to play for the club after being told he won’t be allowed to join the St Mary’s exodus.
Schneiderlin has attracted interest from Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal, but Koeman is determined to hang onto the 24-year-old following a series of star departures from the Premier League club since the end of last season.
England internationals Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw and Rickie Lambert have all been sold, along with Croatia defender Dejan Lovren.
With Southampton’s squad being rebuilt and the club’s prospects looking grim, Schneiderlin wants to leave.
But he held talks with Koeman and Saints chairman Ralph Krueger on Friday and was again told he would not be sold.
Schneiderlin trained with his team-mates this week, but Koeman revealed he was too unsettled to feature in Saturday’s friendly against Bayer Leverkusen.
“The situation is difficult, the player makes it difficult,” Koeman said.
“I spoke to him with our chairman and the situation has not changed -- we don’t sell Schneiderlin and he has to accept that.
“It is not unfair. Unfair is signing a new contract and wanting to go, that’s unfair.
“Tomorrow he is not in the squad. He said he is not physically and, even more, mentally prepared for tomorrow.
“If this is still the situation next week then Morgan has a big problem.”
Schneiderlin, who joined the Saints as an 18-year-old in 2008, is understood to be keen on a move to White Hart Lane and a reunion with Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino, with whom he enjoyed a close relationship at Southampton.
Aston Villa signed French defender Aly Cissokho from Spanish club Valencia on Friday.
Cissokho agreed a four-year contract with Villa as the left-back made a quick return to the Premier League after spending last season on loan at Liverpool.
“Aly Cissokho has joined us on a four-year deal from ValenciaCF, subject to international clearance,” a post on Villa’s official Twitter feed announced.
The 26-year-old, who has one cap for France, made 15 Premier League and four cup appearances for Liverpool and is believed to have cost Villa in the region of £2 million ($3.3 million).
Cissokho, who won the Portuguese league title during his time at Porto and the French Cup while at Lyon, is Villa manager Paul Lambert’s fourth signing since the end of last term.
He follows Philippe Senderos, Joe Cole and Kieran Richardson to Villa Park.
Barcelona have agreed a deal with Arsenal to sign Thomas Vermaelen on a five-year contract.
The news that the 28-year-old Belgium defender is to make the switch was announced by both clubs on Saturday evening.
Arsenal confirmed Vermaelen passed his medical in Barcelona earlier that day, adding that his transfer is “subject to the completion of the normal regulatory process”.
Jose Mourinho admits it will be impossible to find a replacement for Frank Lampard.
Lampard was released by Chelsea at the end of last season and has since signed for new MLS franchise New York FC, while also agreeing to play for Manchester City on loan until his new club start training in January.
The 36-year-old Lampard established himself as one of Chelsea’s all-time greats during his 13-year stay at Stamford Bridge, becoming the club’s record goalscorer and winning the Champions League, Europa League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup.
Mourinho said: “Frank is Frank, he is irreplaceable. No chance.
“Cesc Fabregas is the player we need to modify a little bit the profile of our game. We want to give the next dimension to our game in midfield.
“But I think we can never say - in spite of Cesc, who is a fantastic player as you know - that, ‘This guy is coming to replace Frank’, because Frank is Frank.
“One day he will be alongside Peter Osgood in terms of a statue being built for him, because he’s fantastic.”
Swansea City chiefs insist Michel Vorm’s transfer to Tottenham Hotspur was conducted correctly after the Dutch goalkeeper’s former club Utrecht threatened to report the Premier League team to FIFA.
Utrecht claim they have not received 30 per cent of Vorm’s transfer fee, which they allege was part of a sell-on agreement between them and the Swans when he moved to Wales for £1.5 million ($2.5 million) in 2011.
Dutch international Vorm, who was a member of the Netherlands’ squad at the recent World Cup, moved to White Hart Lane last month for what Swansea described as an undisclosed fee.
“The transfer of Michel Vorm was conducted and concluded correctly under Premier League rules,” a Swansea spokesman said.
“It was approved by the Premier League and also FIFA via their TMS (Transfer Matching) system.
“While we have been in contact with Utrecht as a matter of courtesy, we will continue to conduct our business in the best interest of our football club and our supporters, and not based on the views of other clubs.
“Unlike some countries abroad, we do not have third party ownership of players in Britain.
“The club will not be commenting further on this matter.”
West Ham United
Senegalese striker Diafra Sakho missed training with his club Metz on Friday and is on the verge of completing a move to English Premier League side West Ham United.
“Diafra is leaving this afternoon to undergo a medical and we will make an announcement when the transfer is completed,” said Metz president Bernard Serin.
Speaking at a press conference, Metz coach Albert Cartier added: “The Premier League is a championship that should suit him...West Ham sent scouts to watch our last two matches.”
The 24-year-old Sakho came through the ranks at Metz and scored 20 goals last season as his side won the Ligue 2 title to return to the top flight after a six-year absence.
West Ham have already signed Ecuador forward Enner Valencia this summer after he impressed at the World Cup, while Argentine attacker Mauro Zarate arrived from Velez Sarsfield.
Follow our sports coverage on twitter at @SprtNationalUAE