Over the years, Netflix has released a number of original titles with some going on to become bigger hits than others. Although it was hard to say which ones were actually more popular as the streaming platform had, until now, never released official numbers.
During a presentation at this year’s CodeCon in Los Angeles, Netflix chief executive Ted Sarandos finally revealed some statistics from the company’s viewing data that unveiled the most-watched shows and films, the number of users watching them and how many hours those users had watched content during the first month of release.
Scroll through our gallery above to see the most watched TV series by number of users.
Dystopian Korean thriller Squid Game, which has drawn praise from fans and critics, holding a 100 per cent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and became the first Korean series to be No 1 in the US, has just become the most-watched original Netflix show ever.
"There's a show on Netflix right now that is the No 1 in the world, like everywhere in the world. It's called Squid Game. Squid Game will definitely be our biggest non-English language show in the world, for sure," Sarandos said at September's conference. He added there's "a very good chance it's going to be our biggest show ever."
And on Tuesday, Netflix confirmed his suspicions, tweeting: "Squid Game has officially reached 111 million fans – making it our biggest series launch ever.”
Here's a closer look at Netflix's 10 most-watched shows and films:
Netflix top 10 most-watched series by number of accounts
- Squid Game, season one - 111 million
- Bridgerton, season one – 82 million
- Lupin, part one – 76 million
- The Witcher, season one – 76 million
- Sex/Life, season one – 67 million
- Stranger Things, season three – 67 million
- Money Heist, part four – 65 million
- Tiger King, season one – 64 million
- The Queen’s Gambit – 62 million
- Sweet Tooth, season one – 60 million
Netflix top 10 most-watched films by number of accounts
- Extraction – 99 million
- Bird Box – 89 million
- Spenser Confidential – 85 million
- 6 Underground – 83 million
- Murder Mystery – 83 million
- The Old Guard – 78 million
- Enola Holmes – 77 million
- Project Power – 75 million
- Army of the Dead – 75 million
- Fatherhood – 74 million