Darwin shooting: four dead in northern Australian city
A 45-year-old man was arrested in connection with the event
A man who was out on parole was arrested after fatally shooting four men and wounding a woman in an hour-long downtown rampage on Tuesday in the northern Australian city of Darwin, police said.
Authorities did not reveal a motive for the shotgun attack, but ruled out terrorism.
It was Australia's third mass shooting since the country introduced tough gun laws in response to a 1996 massacre in which a lone gunman armed with two semi-automatic assault rifles killed 35 people in Tasmania state. Mass shootings are usually defined as those resulting in at least four deaths excluding the shooter.
In Tuesday's rampage, four men were killed and a woman was wounded at five places around Darwin, said Northern Territory Police Commissioner Reece Kershaw.
The 45-year-old suspect was released from prison on parole in January and was wearing an electronic monitoring bracelet, Mr Kershaw said. Police did not say why he had been in prison or whether the bracelet helped police arrest him.
"He is an individual who's well known to police and has a number of interactions adverse with the police," Kershaw said.
The woman who was wounded did not have serious injuries, he said.
Northern Territory Chief Minister Michael Gunner described the incident as an "incredibly difficult night."
"This is not the Darwin we know," Mr Gunner said. "This may be an event you prepare for, but this is never an event you want to respond to."
Updated: June 4, 2019 07:51 PM