Efforts under way to secure compensation for Al Ain victims
ABU DHABI // Efforts were under way yesterday to make sure relatives of the men killed in Monday's bus crash receive compensation.
"We hope the families of these unfortunate people get compensation as they were the only breadwinners of their families," said Mohammed Nazmul Quaunine, the Bangladeshi ambassador to the UAE.
Eighteen Bangladeshi nationals were among 24 people killed when a lorry hit the bus, carrying workers from Al Hakeem Decoration, in Al Ain. Another 11 people were injured, some seriously. They were treated at hospitals in Al Ain. Seven had been discharged by yesterday.
"Firstly, we are trying to ensure they are receiving medical treatment, then we would try to ensure compensation to their families," said Mr Quaunine. "We will contact the company they were working for and the concerned UAE authorities as well."
Staff were also working to return the bodies of the victims to Dhaka.
Pakistan's ambassador, Jamil Ahmed Khan, confirmed that six Pakistanis were on the bus when it crashed. All of them suffered injuries, ranging from minor to serious. None were killed.
The Indian ambassador MK Lokesh said one Indian national had been killed. According to sources at the Embassy, he only caught a ride on the bus after missing his own bus.
His family's compensation will be handled by his company, ETA.
Published: February 6, 2013 04:00 AM