ABU DHABI // The public prosecutions department has ordered the arrest of a person who published a list of names purported to be the soldiers killed in the rocket attack in Yemen.
The list, which was circulated on social media, contained the names of university students, sparking rumours that they had been killed.
The Abu Dhabi Judicial Department did not give the identity of the person or say whether they had been apprehended.
Ali Al Buloushi, the Abu Dhabi Attorney General, said UAE law stated anyone who started a rumour or spread false information, or any information that aimed to “weaken the moral spirit of the people”, would be prosecuted. Those convicted faced jail, a fine or both.
“As far as information on the servicemen is concerned, the General Command of the Armed Forces is the exclusive source of information and statement,” Mr Al Buloushi said.
Meanwhile, courts across the Emirates began hearings on Sunday with a moment's silence to honour the soldiers, and flags were flown at half-mast across all court buildings.