TheNational hamburger logo

Abu Dhabi, UAEThursday 28 January 2021

Premier League updates: All of Saturday's games

Manchester United denied three points after Newcastle levelled with controversial penalty, Thomas Vermaelen scored at both ends of the pitch as Arsenal are held by Fulham.
Newcastle's goalkeeper Tim Krul, left, saves a header by Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic, center right, in the last few minutes of the match at Old Trafford.
Newcastle's goalkeeper Tim Krul, left, saves a header by Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic, center right, in the last few minutes of the match at Old Trafford.

Arsenal 1 Fulham 1

Arsenal were left frustrated as Fulham held out for a draw in the Premier League clash at Emirates Stadium.

Thomas Vermaelen netted an own goal to gift the visitors - who had not won at Arsenal in 25 attempts - the lead on 65 minutes.

The Belgian redeemed himself when nodding in from close range with seven minutes left, but the hosts could not find a winner.

Manchester United 1 Newcastle United 1

Manchester United's furious players surrounded referee Mike Jones at the final whistle after they had been denied two precious points amid huge controversy at Old Trafford.

TV replays showed Rio Ferdinand played the ball as he slid in on Newcastle United's Hatem Ben Arfa after an hour, with the hosts leading through

Javier Hernandez's sixth goal of the season.

But the far-side linesman decided otherwise, awarding the visitors a spot-kick from which Demba Ba scored.

Despite the dismissal of Jonas Gutierrez, United were unable to force home a winner, with Tim Krul producing a series of outstanding saves and Red Devils old-boy Danny Simpson producing a brilliant goal-line clearance to deny Hernandez, who had a goal disallowed for offside deep into injury time.

Bolton Wanderers 0 Everton 2

Everton recorded back-to-back Premier League wins for the first time this season as strikes from Marouane Fellaini and Apostolos Vellios secured victory over 10-man Bolton at the Reebok Stadium.

The Toffees took the lead four minutes after the break when Fellaini swept in from close range before substitute Vellios netted a second 12 minutes from time.

Wanderers had earlier had David Wheater sent off, the defender's 20th-minute challenge on Diniyar Bilyaletdinov earning him a straight red card - his second dismissal of the campaign.

The result moves Everton into the top half of the table, while Bolton, having suffered a 10th league defeat this term, remain in the relegation zone.

Chelsea 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

Chelsea returned to winning ways with a comfortable victory over Wolves to ease the pressure on under-fire manager Andre Villas-Boas.

Recent losses to Liverpool and Bayer Leverkusen had piled the pressure on the 34-year-old Blues boss, but the tension at Stamford Bridge eased in the sixth minute of today's game when John Terry capitalised on some poor marking to head home Juan Mata's cross.

Daniel Sturridge slipped his marker to tap home Mata's cross just before the half hour and the Spaniard added the hosts' third in the last minute of the first half when he was given plenty of space to convert Ashley Cole's centre from 12 yards.

The result could have been a rout had it not been for a series of excellent stops from Wolves goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey, the highlight of which was a double-save from Sturridge and Mata halfway through the second period.

Norwich City 2 Queens Park Rangers 1

Norwich talisman Grant Holt came off the bench to bundle home the winning goal in a closely-fought Premier League encounter with QPR.

The battle of last season's top two in the Championship ebbed and flowed throughout the pair's first top-flight meeting since 1995.

Norwich dominated the early proceedings at Carrow Road and deservedly took the lead when skipper Russell Martin reacted quickest during a melee in the six-yard box.

Shaun Wright-Phillips saw a strong call for a penalty turned down seconds later as the west Londoners searched for an equaliser, which eventually came in the 59th minute when Luke Young struck his second goal in as many games.

The leveller came on the back of QPR boss Neil Warnock's wily introduction of Jay Bothroyd, but Norwich manager Paul Lambert played his own trump cards to secure the three points.

Having seen an attempt cleared off the line moments before, Holt was set up by fellow substitute Wes Hoolahan to net the winning goal to the delight of the majority of the 26,781 crowd.

Sunderland 1 Wigan Athletic 2

Substitute Franco di Santo piled the pressure on embattled Sunderland boss Steve Bruce as bottom-of-the-table Wigan snatched a precious victory at the Stadium of Light.

The striker claimed the points in the third minute of injury time after James McArthur had caught Wes Brown in possession to complete a miserable afternoon for the Black Cats.

Sebastian Larsson had put the home side ahead with just eight minutes gone, and Bruce's men would have been out of sight had it not been for Latics keeper Ali Al-Habsi.

However, Jordi Gomez's 44th-minute penalty gave Wigan hope, and a much-improved second-half display saw them clinch the win in a dramatic conclusion.

West Brom 1 Tottenham Hotspur 3

Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor took his goal tally to four in six days as Harry Redknapp's side kept up their push for a Champions League spot at the expense of West Brom at the Hawthorns.

Albion were given an early lead through Youssouf Mulumbu's header but Tottenham levelled through Adebayor after his initial penalty had been parried by Ben Foster.

Jermain Defoe struck his seventh goal of the campaign with nine minutes remaining and then Adebayor, on target twice against Aston Villa on Monday, added a third in injury time.

It was no more than Tottenham deserved after dominating the second period and they have now picked up 28 points from a 10-game unbeaten league run in their push for a place in the Champions League.

Stoke City 3 Blackburn Rovers 1

Stoke ended a run of four successive Premier League defeats in comprehensive fashion as Blackburn's troubles continued.

Goals from Rory Delap, Glenn Whelan and Peter Crouch increased the pressure on Rovers manager Steve Kean, who has now won just six times in 34 league matches, as Ruben Rochina's late consolation had little impact.

Rovers remain mired in the bottom three and this performance highlighted why, despite Kean's insistence that they have not played badly this season.

There was little for the crowd to get excited about in the opening 20 minutes and atmosphere was so unusually quiet for the Britannia that Rovers' small group of travelling fans were easily able to make audible their chants against the reign of manager Kean.

But with Stoke's first genuine chance to attack the Rovers goal they opened the scoring in the 28th minute, with Delap's glancing header from Jermaine Pennant's perfectly-delivered free-kick beat Paul Robinson.

In the 58th minute Matthew Etherington picked out Jon Walters in the penalty area and he laid the ball off for Whelan, with the aid of a deflection from Dann, to drive home from 25 yards for his first goal since February 2010.

The match was wrapped up in the 72nd minute when Crouch clinically converted Marc Wilson's long ball into the Rovers penalty area with a left-footed shot.

When Rovers finally threatened it was too little too late as Rochina fired home from distance in the 86th minute after Hoilett had cut in from the left and Nzonzi had delivered the final pass for the Spaniard.

Published: November 27, 2011 04:00 AM

Editor's Picks
Sign up to: