Errol Spence Jr says fight with Manny Pacquiao will 'definitely happen' next year
The unbeaten IBF welterweight champion takes on WBC titleholder Shawn Porter in Las Vegas this weekend, but wants the 'Pac-Man' next
IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr says he wants to face Manny Pacquiao after he sees off Shawn Porter this weekend, claiming the fight with the Filipino will “definitely happen” next year.
Spence takes on WBC titleholder Porter in their title unification bout at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Saturday, with many tipping the undefeated American to come through unscathed. To this point, the 2012 US Olympian has 25 victories from 25 pro bouts, 21 by way of knockout.
Spence, 29, sits currently at No 6 in The Ring magazine’s pound-for-pound rankings, whereas Pacquiao, the WBA champion, comes in at 10. The eight-division world champion, who turns 41 in December, last fought in July, when he dominated the previously undefeated Keith Thurman to win by unanimous decision.
In Dubai this weekend to take part in a basketball event, Pacquiao has been tipped to next go up against either Mikey Garcia or Danny Garcia.
Whatever transpires, Spence believes Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) stablemate Pacquiao looms in the near future.
“I think I am the best fighter in the welterweight division and in boxing,” Spence told PBC. “This is my time to prove it. Timing is everything. I’m going to get the fights that I need to prove I am the best in the world.
“Getting past Shawn Porter with the performance that I know I can put on against him, and then getting the fight that I want after that and that’s the Manny Pacquiao fight.
“The fight with Manny Pacquiao definitely happens; I think it happens some time next year. Maybe in the middle or the end of next year, but I think it’s definitely going to happen.
“The fans want it to happen, there’s too much money out there not for it to happen, there’s too many belts on the lines for it not to happen too.”
Updated: September 25, 2019 10:44 AM