Manchester City seal Champions League group berth and Arsenal stay in line with United draw

City’s win left them eight points clear of Manchester United with only a maximum of six on offer to their local rivals. Arsenal stayed third, two points ahead of Louis van Gaal's men after their 1-1 draw.

Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart dives to make a save against Swansea City at The Liberty Stadium on May 17, 2015. Glyn Kirk / AFP
Powered by automated translation

Arsenal relied on a late own-goal to draw 1-1 at Manchester United in the Premier League on Sunday and stay in control of the race for automatic qualification for the Champions League.

A cross by Theo Walcott in the 82nd minute deflected off the outstretched boot of United substitute Tyler Blackett and looped over wrong-footed goalkeeper Victor Valdes, who had just come on for his debut.

Ander Herrera gave United the lead in the 30th when he met Ashley Young’s cross with a side-footed volley, but the hosts were pinned back for much of the second half at Old Trafford.

Arsenal stayed third, two points ahead of United, and will secure a finish in at least that position by beating Sunderland in its game in hand on Wednesday. The last round of the Premier League is on Sunday.

Manchester City assured themselves of direct entry into next season's Champions League with a 4-2 win away to Swansea in Sunday's early Premier League match.

The top three sides in England at the end of the season are assured of a place in the group stage of European football’s elite club competition, with the Premier League’s fourth-placed team having to enter a qualifying round instead.

Three goals came before half-time at the Liberty Stadium, with Yaya Toure, assisted by an error from Swansea goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianksi, and James Milner putting City 2-0 up before Gylfi Sigurdsson pulled a goal back for Swansea on the stroke of half-time.

French striker Bafetimbi Gomis equalised for the Swans midway through the second half before Toure, with Fabianksi out of position, made it 3-2 to City with a low shot from the edge of the box.

Former Swansea forward Wilfried Bony made it 4-2 in stoppage-time with only his second goal since he moved in the mid-season transfer window.

City’s win left them eight points clear of Manchester United, currently fourth, with only a maximum of six on offer to their local rivals in their final two games of the season.

Follow us on Twitter at NatSportUAE