Manchester City's appeal over two-year ban from European football set for June

Premier League club will find out fate at hearing that will take place at the Court of Arbitration for Sport

File photo dated 05-04-2020 of File photo dated 12-03-2019 of a general view of the Etihad Stadium, home of Manchester City. PA Photo. Issue date: Tuesday May 19, 2020. Manchester City will discover before the start of next season whether their appeal against a two-year European competition ban has been successful. See PA story SOCCER Man City. Photo credit should read Martin Rickett/PA Wire.
Beta V.1.0 - Powered by automated translation

Manchester City’s appeal against a two-year ban from European football will to be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in June.

In February, City were banned from European club competitions for the next two seasons and handed a €30 million (Dh118m) fine after an investigation into allegations that the club breached Uefa’s licensing and financial fair play regulations.

City then registered their appeal with Cas and have said they are confident the decision will be overturned, with chief executive Ferran Soriano insisting the allegations were "simply not true".

The hearing – not open to the public – is due to begin on June 8 and is listed for three days.

Cas said "some hearings may be conducted by video conference" because of the travel restrictions in place because of the coronavirus pandemic.

With the Premier League not set to restart until June 12 at the earliest and the remaining Champions League rounds planned for August, the verdict will be known well before the 2019/20 season is even close to completing.

Earlier this month, City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne admitted he that could leave the club if the two-year suspension from European football is upheld.

NEWSLETTERS
MORE FROM THE NATIONAL