Manchester City hammer Brighton 4-1 to retain Premier League title

Sergio Aguero and Riyad Mahrez among the Man City goalscorers as Liverpool come up just short despite 2-0 win against Wolves

Powered by automated translation

Manchester City became the first team to successfully defend the Premier League title in 10 years as a 4-1 win at Brighton & Hove Albion ensured the trophy returned to the Etihad Stadium despite Liverpool's win over Wolves.

Not since Alex Ferguson guided Manchester United to back-to-back titles in 2009 has an English team successfully defended the Premier League crown.

City started the day a point ahead of closest challengers Liverpool but their grasp on the title threatened to slip completely as Brighton took a surprise lead at the Amex Stadium while Sadio Mane's first goal at Anfield had put Liverpool briefly on course for a first English title since 1990.

Despite dominating possession, City trailed to a Glenn Murray goal as the Brighton striker nodded in a Pascal Gross corner on 27 minutes.

But City hit back almost immediately.

Lewis Dunk played Sergio Aguero on side as David Silva played a clever little back heel into the Argentine's path for him to slam home his 21st league goal of the campaign.

At that stage the title was heading to Anfield, though, as Mane's 17th-minute goal had Liverpool ahead against Wolves.

Trent Alexander-Arnold worked a one-two with Fabinho down Liverpool's right and his deflected cross was slammed home by the Senegalese. That took Mane to 21 goals in another prolific season, and he would finish it with 22 league strikes after adding a second against Wolves in the second half.

Mane's opener had put Liverpool on 97 points while the 1-1 score at Brighton had City on 96.

The pendulum swung back the champions' way, however, just before half time as Aymeric Laporte ran unopposed on to Riyad Mahrez's inswinging corner to power home a header on 38 minutes.

Mahrez, City's record signing who has endured a difficult first season under at City, then made sure of the result and the final destination of the one of the most thrilling title races in recent memory with a thumping right-foot shot on 63 minutes.

Ilkay Gundogan's exquisite free kick on 72 minutes added extra polish to City's finish to a season that saw them win 14 straight league games to finish on 98 points, one ahead of Liverpool.

Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed, the club's owner, was quick to praise Guardiola and his squad after they secured a fourth Premier League title in seven years since City Football Group's takeover in 2008.

Ten years ago Pep Guardiola was guiding Barcelona to a treble of La Liga, Copa del Rey and Champions League. Under his guidance, City on Sunday completed the second of what they hope will be an unprecedented English domestic troika - City face Watford in the FA Cup final at Wembley on Saturday - having already secured the League Cup in February.