Defeat to West Ham and Marcus Rashford injury adds to Manchester United's woes

Solskjaer's side lose away from home again, as Aubameyang's stunning free-kick helps 10-man Arsenal beat Aston Villa

West Ham's Aaron Cresswell curls home a stunning free-kick to score his side's second goal against Manchester United at the London Stadium on Sunday. EPA
West Ham's Aaron Cresswell curls home a stunning free-kick to score his side's second goal against Manchester United at the London Stadium on Sunday. EPA

West Ham inflicted more away-day pain on a poor Manchester United side on Sunday, lifting themselves to fourth in the Premier League with a comfortable 2-0 win at the London Stadium.

Andriy Yarmolenko's goal shortly before half-time and a wonderful late Aaron Cresswell free-kick extended United's barren run on the road.

United, who started the season by thumping Chelsea 4-0, have lost twice already in their opening six league games and lie eighth, without an away win in any competition since March.

Injury-hit United were without midfielder Paul Pogba and forward Anthony Martial and huffed and puffed but failed to break down their dogged opponents.

They suffered another major blow when England striker Marcus Rashford limped off with a groin problem early in the second half.

His early departure will raise more questions about United's summer transfer business, when they failed to bring in a replacement for Romelu Lukaku.

Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: "We've got to scan him tomorrow, he felt his groin, so he'll probably out for a little while.

"I'm very disappointed. You’re always disappointed when you lose games. This was a game that we could have won. Going home tonight we’ll go through the game again. At the moment we’re just all very flat."

West Ham captain Noble was delighted with his side's victory and their recent results. He told said: "The feel-good factor at the club is really high and it makes it a little bit special when you get Manchester United at home and perform like that and another clean sheet ... it's a massive three points for us."

Arsenal battled to a thrilling 3-2 win over Aston Villa at the Emirates Stadium, despite having Ainsley Maitland-Niles sent-off in the first half.

John McGinn's close-range finish had put Villa ahead after 20 minutes, before Maitland-Niles was shown a second yellow with half-time approaching.

Nicolas Pepe levelled from the spot just before the hour, after Bjorn Engels had brought down Matteo Guendouzi. But VIlla were back in front a minute later when Wesley finished after great work by Jack Grealish down the left.

Arsenal, though, refused to throw in the towel. First, substitute Calum Chambers poked home with nine minutes remaining and, three minutes later, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang fired home a stunning free-kick to earn the Gunners three points.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang celebrates his late winner for Arsenal against Aston Villa. Getty 
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang celebrates his late winner for Arsenal against Aston Villa. Getty

Manager Unai Emery said: "The team spirit was amazing, we need to continue working and improving things.

"Aston Villa is a good team and an organised team. After this I hope we can improve and be strong. Together with the supporters we will be strong for the matches and hopefully improve.

"It is our challenge to improve defensively. They didn't have a lot of chances to score."

Villa manager Dean Smith said: "We will never get a better chance to win at the Emirates. Going a goal up and they went down to 10 men. We retracted when we should have gone out to get the second. We have made a mistake.

"We have given them three goals and dropped too deep in the second half, hanging on to the lead we had. Just before half-time I thought it became a bit of a basketball game – it was end-to-end. We didn't make the most of our opportunities and lost our structure.

"We ended up jumping out from midfield and they played through us. It is a bitterly disappointing dressing room as they know they can compete but we lost belief in the second half."

Diogo Jota's stoppage-time goal eased some pressure on Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo and earned them a 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace.

Roy Hodgson's team looked set for another home win at Selhurst Park, after taking the lead through Leander Dendoncker's own-goal in the 46th minute, but a mistake at the back saw the visitors level with virtually the last kick of the game.

It halted a run of three straight defeats for Wolves, but Palace were left frustrated after playing against 10-men for the final 17 minutes – when Romain Saiss received a second yellow – and squandering several chances during that period.

Palace manager Roy Hodgson said: "I am bitterly disappointed of course. If the game was a draw after the first half I would have few complaints but after the second half, and to get within 90 seconds of a win, it is a tough one to take. It feels like a defeat."

Wolverhampton Wanderers' Diogo Jota, right, celebrates scoring an injury-time equaliser at Crystal Palace on Sunday. PA
Wolverhampton Wanderers' Diogo Jota, right, celebrates scoring an injury-time equaliser at Crystal Palace on Sunday. PA

Published: September 22, 2019 11:03 PM


Editor's Picks
Sign up to:

* Please select one