Champions League final: Mohamed Salah and Divock Origi fire Liverpool to sixth European Cup victory

Egyptian's spot-kick and effort from Belgian enough for Jurgen Klopp's side to victory over Tottenham Hotspur

Powered by automated translation

Mohamed Salah scored for Liverpool as the Merseyside club won the Uefa Champions League on Saturday night with a 2-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur in the final in Madrid.

His second-minute penalty gave Liverpool the perfect start as they claimed their sixth European Cup at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium.

Substitute Divock Origi added a second in the closing stages to seal another famous night of European success for Liverpool.

The game failed to live up to expectations with defences dominating, but that will not bother Jurgen Klopp as he claimed his first trophy as Liverpool manager since taking over in October 2015.

The defining moment came after just 22 seconds as Moussa Sissoko was judged to have handled a Sadio Mane cross.

The decision was upheld by VAR and Salah made no mistake with the spot-kick as he fired past Hugo Lloris.

After all the hype the first half was a forgettable affair as both sides struggled to create opportunities.

Liverpool's most noticeable efforts came from long distance from full-backs Andrew Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Tottenham had brought Harry Kane back into their line-up after almost two months out with injury, but the striker was well marshalled by Liverpool's backline.

The second half saw Tottenham improve but they continued to struggle create chances with Alisson largely untested in the first hour in the Liverpool goal.

Despite bringing on Lucas Moura in the second half, the man whose hat-trick had fired Tottenham to the final, the London side could not find a way through Liverpool's backline.

Liverpool threatened on the break with Salah and Sadio Mane causing Tottenham problems, and substitute James Milner went close to adding a second.

Dele Alli headed over and Lucas and Christian Eriksen were both denied by Allison late on as Tottenham pushed on in the closing stages.

But Liverpool held on and Origi added a second with three minutes to seal victory for Klopp's men.