Cricket World Cup 2019: Afghanistan players in restaurant row
According to British media report, unnamed squad members took exception to being filmed by member of public
Police were called after members of the Afghanistan squad were involved in an altercation at a Manchester restaurant on Monday.
The incident took place the night before Afghanistan's Cricket World Cup match against tournament hosts England at Manchester's Old Trafford.
According to the BBC, the unnamed squad members took exception to being filmed by a member of the public, and confronted him.
Meanwhile a statement from Greater Manchester Police issued on Tuesday confirmed that officers attended Akbar's restaurant shortly after 11.15pm local time (2am UAE).
"Shortly after 11.15pm on Monday 17 June 2019, police were called to reports of an altercation at a premises on Liverpool Road in Manchester," a GMP statement said. "Officers attended the scene. No one was injured and no arrests have been made. Enquiries are ongoing."
Controversy seems to be pursuing the Afghanistan team at the World Cup, with Mohammed Shahzad last week threatening to quit cricket after being declared unfit for the remainder of the tournament by the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB).
The wicketkeeper-batsman played in Afghanistan's the first two matches but the ACB cut him from the squad last Thursday, saying his knee injury would not allow him to play any further part in the tournament.
Shahzad, 32, who scored nought and then seven runs in the defeats against Australia and Sri Lanka, said medical advice he had received suggested he would have been fit to play within a few of days after having his knee drained.
Updated: June 18, 2019 10:33 PM