Andrew Strauss demands answers from England players over involvement of Bangladesh tour

England chief Andrew Strauss has said players have three days to decide if they are willing to tour Bangladesh amid ongoing security concerns surrounding the country.
Andrew Strauss is convinced the tour of Bangladesh will be safe amid ongoing concerns regarding security. Andrew Redington / Getty Images
Andrew Strauss is convinced the tour of Bangladesh will be safe amid ongoing concerns regarding security. Andrew Redington / Getty Images

England chief Andrew Strauss has said players have three days left to decide if they are willing to tour Bangladesh amid ongoing security concerns surrounding the country.

The former England captain made it clear that anyone who opted out ran the risk of losing their international position if a stand-in did well in their absence.

All-rounders Moeen Ali and Chris Jordan have both said they are unequivocally available to tour and Alastair Cook, England’s Test captain, is believed to have given a private assurance to the same effect.

However, limited overs captain Eoin Morgan has yet to commit to a tour whose future was called into question after an attack on a Dhaka cafe in July that saw 20 hostages killed.

Following the July attack, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) decided to send an inspection team to Bangladesh led by their long-serving security chief Reg Dickason.

More cricket:

• Two-tier Tests scrapped: ICC shelves plans for two-tier Test cricket

• Michael Clarke: Nepalese teenager to join Western Sydney

• Osman Samiuddin: Azhar Ali running out of time as Pakistan captain

After he reported back, the board confirmed last month that the tour, which includes three one-day international and two Test match fixtures in October and November, would go ahead as planned.

ECB director Strauss will meet England’s contracted players, who will form the bulk of the touring party, at England’s National Cricket Academy in Loughborough on September 9 and 10 for their annual appraisal.

During those meetings, the former England opener will seek a definitive answer on players’ willingness to tour, with the squad due to be named publicly on September 16.

Strauss, speaking at Old Trafford before the T20, England’s final home international of the season, said: “Would I like both our captains to be on that tour? Absolutely, definitely.

“We have to recognise that, although we have two captains who have wider responsibilities than just themselves, they are still human beings at the end of the day and still subject to all the same thoughts and concerns as anyone else.

“The persuasion is that we feel it’s safe to go.

“I genuinely believe that and that is why I’m encouraging every player to use that incredibly detailed and experienced viewpoint from Reg to make a judgement.

“If he says it’s safe to go somewhere it’s safe, and if (he says) it isn’t, it isn’t.

“I cannot literally force people up the steps and say ‘you have to go to Bangladesh’.”

Strauss said players would have to weigh up the pros and cons for themselves.

“I think, at its most simple (level), the big consequence for not going is you are giving someone else an opportunity to step into your shoes and stake a claim for themselves.

“That’s just the same as if someone gets injured ... If someone does really well, then you can’t give any guarantees (over selection).”

Follow us on Twitter @NatSportUAE

Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/TheNationalSport

Published: September 8, 2016 04:00 AM

SHARE

Editor's Picks
NEWSLETTERS
Sign up to:

* Please select one