Ryan Coogler, the director behind the hit film Black Panther, was wrongly accused of bank robbery earlier this year, US media outlets reported on Wednesday.
In early January, Mr Coogler went to a bank and asked for a $12,000 withdrawal from his account. As the request surpassed the usual $10,000 limit, the system flagged the transaction.
The bank teller also received a handwritten request from Mr Coogler to count the large amount of money “discreetly”. The teller wrongly assumed he was trying to rob the bank and called in law enforcement.
Mr Coogler was placed in handcuffs and detained, CNN reported. He was later let go after the situation was explained.
“This situation should never have happened. However, Bank of America worked with me and addressed it to my satisfaction and we have moved on,” Mr Coogler said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter and Variety.
Bank of America expressed its regret over the situation.
“We deeply regret that this incident occurred. It never should have happened and we have apologised to Mr Coogler,” the company's statement to The Hollywood Reporter and CNN said.
Mr Coogler was in Georgia at the time for the production of the Black Panther sequel, CNN and Variety reported.
The 2018 hit was the first superhero film to feature a predominantly black cast and became one of Marvel's most successful releases.
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is scheduled to be released in November.