Prince Harry wins libel case against UK newspaper

Harry sued for libel over a report that he turned his back on the military when he ended his royal role

Prince Harry wins damages from Mail on Sunday and MailOnline

Prince Harry wins damages from Mail on Sunday and MailOnline
Powered by automated translation

Britain's Prince Harry has won an apology and substantial damages from the publishers of the Mail on Sunday  newspaper.

The Duke of Sussex launched the libel action after an article in the paper in October said he had lost touch with the Royal Marines, with whom he had a formal relationship until he stepped back from his royal duties last March.

It said that the Queen's grandson had snubbed the armed forces and ignored correspondence from a former British military chief.

Harry served in the armed forces for a decade and saw active service twice in Afghanistan.

"All of these allegations are false as the Mail on Sunday  and the Mail Online  have accepted, albeit after considerable damage was already done," his lawyer, Jenny Afia, told an online hearing at London's High Court on Monday.

The paper agreed to pay damages, which Harry will donate to the Invictus Games, an international sporting event he founded for military personnel wounded in action, Ms Afia said.

Harry's libel case is separate from the action his wife Meghan Markle is taking against the Mail on Sunday.

She is suing the publication over articles which included parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father in 2018.

Last month Ms Markle asked the High Court to rule that the paper breached her privacy and copyright, without the need for a trial, which is scheduled for later this year.