Fire breaks out at Manchester apartment block
Twelve fire engines were sent to the area, Manchester Fire department said
Firefighters have been tackling a blaze at a 12 storey building in Manchester City Centre.
The fire had affected the ninth and tenth floor of the apartment block, Manchester Fire department said on Saturday afternoon.
"We're currently tackling a fire on the 9th floor of a 12 storey building on Joiner Street in Manchester's Northern Quarter. Please avoid the area if possible and keep windows and doors shut if you live nearby," Manchester Fire wrote on Twitter.
Twelve fire engines have been sent to the area, which is close to the city's famous Arndale shopping centre.
Witnesses posted images and videos of the scene to social media, praising the emergency services for working to put out the fire.
One casualty has been taken to hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation.
Published: December 30, 2017 10:00 PM