Anti-Muslim activist Tommy Robinson to face new contempt of court trial
Robinson broke reporting restrictions last year while filming outside a child grooming case
Contempt of court proceedings will be brought against the British right-wing leader Tommy Robinson, the Attorney General has announced.
Robinson, also known as Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, was found to be in contempt of court last year, after live streaming outside a trial for a mainly Pakistani gang later found guilty of grooming young girls.
He was found to be in violation of court reporting restrictions imposed by the judge. Robinson was sentenced to 13 months in jail but successfully appealed for the original finding to be quashed. The case was then referred to the Attorney General.
“After carefully considering the details of this case, I have concluded there are strong grounds to bring fresh contempt of court proceedings against Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (AKA Tommy Robinson), said Geoffrey Cox, the Attorney General.
“As proceedings are now underway, it would not be appropriate to comment further and I remind everyone that it is an offence to comment on live court cases.”
Robinson has attracted widespread criticism for his often Islamophobic and anti-immigration rhetoric, but still retains a small but dedicated following.
Earlier this week he turned up at the doorstop of a journalist who has written extensively about the far-right with Robinson demanding to speak to him.
“I’m going to make a documentary that exposes every single one of you, every single detail about every one of you. Where you live, where you work, everything about you is going to be exposed,” Robinson had said to the journalist, Mike Stuchbery. He was later moved on by police.
Robinson has recently been permanently banned from Facebook and Twitter for violating their policies by promoting hate speech.
Published: March 7, 2019 08:25 PM