Abu Dhabi taxis now 85 per cent hybrid

More than 68 million passengers used their services so far this year

Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., July 11, 2018.  Stock photos of transportation - public buses, bus waiting sheds, taxis, passengers, bus ticket machines, mawaqif.   ---  An Abu Dhabi taxi goes Northbound along Sheikh Rasheed Bin Saeed Street.
Victor Besa / The National
Section: NA
Beta V.1.0 - Powered by automated translation

Abu Dhabi transport officials announced that 85 per cent of all taxis in the emirate are now hybrid vehicles.

Officials said more than 1,300 of the combined petrol and electric cars had been added to the fleet of 6,930 so far this year.

The move is part of a wider strategy to reduce harmful emissions and protect the environment.

The Integrated Transport Centre, Abu Dhabi’s transport authority, also revealed that more than 68 million passengers used Abu Dhabi taxis so far this year, amounting to about 38 million journeys.

Eight companies operate taxis throughout Abu Dhabi, including Al Ghazal Taxi, Arabia Taxi, National Taxi and Tawasul Transport.

ITC said all companies were staffed by professional drivers who had been given advanced training in traffic safety awareness.

During August and September, more than 1,500 drivers underwent ITC-organised training, with courses in Arabic, English and Urdu.

Officials also said 75 per cent of missing items left in taxis were returned to their owners, with the remaining 25 per cent unable to be given back due to owners' failure to follow up on their initial report.