Murder accused tells Dubai court he acted in self-defence

Pakistani says former flatmate attacked him with a knife when he asked for access to savings they had been keeping together.

DUBAI // A 20-year-old Pakistani worker denied stabbing his countryman to death in a row over money, Dubai Criminal Court heard on Tuesday.

“He attacked me with the knife, which belongs to him, then I had to defend myself and he got injured during the fight,” said the defendant.

Prosecutors said that on July 3 Dubai Police received a report of a dead body in a car park in Naif, after which police and forensic units were dispatched to the scene.

“I was parking a customer’s car when I found the dead body so I rushed to my colleague and told him then he called police,” said an Afghan witness, 29.

Police identified the victim by answering his phone, which started ringing as police and forensic experts were examining the body.

“We answered and it turned out that his workplace was calling to inquire about him,” said an Emirati policeman. He added that police questioned the victim’s co-workers and some of his relatives and found out that he was last seen with the defendant.

The next morning police arrested the accused, whose right hand was bandaged. “When we checked his hand, we found a knife wound caused by when he held the sharp end of the knife to avoid a stab,” said the officer.

During interrogations, the defendant said he had known the victim for the last two years and lived with him in the same apartment for a while before moving about four months before the murder.

He said he was saving money with the victim and that night he called him asking for Dh200 to buy himself some new clothes to celebrate Eid Al Fitr.

“He told us that the victim told him to meet after iftar at the car park and, when they did, the victim refused to give him money and took out a knife from under his clothes and tried to stab him,” added the officer.

The defendant told prosecutors that he managed to grab the knife’s sharp end, which caused him a deep cut, then he used it to stab the victim in his bottom and neck before fleeing the scene, leaving the knife and fingerprints behind.

His supervisor told prosecutors that the defendant requested his passport that day and said he needed to travel home for an emergency.

The defendant denied a charge of premeditated murder.

The next hearing will be on October 23.

Published: September 27, 2016 04:00 AM


Editor's Picks
Sign up to:

* Please select one