'Improving' Sharjah boy Abdul taken off respirator
Six-year-old Abdul Rahman Hisham, who was in a critical condition after a suspected chemical poisoning which killed his little sister, has been taken off his respirator.
Abdul Rahman and his sister, Habiba, 2, were admitted to Al Qassimi Hospital a week ago with poisoning symptoms.
Habiba died six hours after arriving at the hospital, and Abdul Rahman has been in a "critical condition" in paediatric intensive care suffering from septicaemia, a blood infection that leads to acute heart muscle inflammation and weakness.
However, his condition now appears to be improving and Dr Khalid Khalfan Sabt, deputy technical director at the hospital, said: "Abdul Rahman's condition is very stable. We've reduced the amount of inotropic support to the heart and he's responding well to the reduction."
Dr Sabt said once the boy was off the ventilator he would maintain a somnolent condition and wake up spontaneously. But his long-term prognosis remained in question, Dr Sabt said.
Abdul Rahman's father, Hisham Abdul Rahman Abdul Fattah, said: "When we talk he answers us by slightly moving his head," he said.
A forensics team from Sharjah police has taken blood samples from Abdul Rahman to confirm the cause of poisoning and results were expected Monday.
Published: September 10, 2012 04:00 AM