Coronavirus: UAE records 483 new cases and 103 recoveries
Total of 8,238 cases have been reported in Emirates, with six more deaths
The UAE recorded 483 new cases of Covid-19 on Wednesday and confirmed six more people had died after contracting the virus.
Another 103 people have recovered from the disease, bringing the total number of patients given the all-clear to 1,546.
The UAE has confirmed 8,238 cases of coronavirus since the start of the outbreak. The death toll is now 52.
Dr Farida Al Hosani, spokeswoman for the UAE health sector, delivered a message to communities preparing to observe Ramadan.
Dr Al Hosani said the country was preparing for an unfamiliar Ramadan because of restrictions placed on travel and gatherings of people to stem the spread of Covid-19.
"This year will be very different for all of us," she said. "The safety of everybody is the priority. We must adopt our social practices."
Dr Al Hosani said large gatherings of family and friends for iftars and suhoor, a staple part of Emirati tradition, unfortunately must be missed this year for the good of society.
She called on residents to stay home, eat well and exercise during the holy month.
Dr Al Hosani said residents should stay in contact with relatives and friends from outside through phone and video calls.
"Ramadan is an opportunity for us to protect our health and all those around us," she said.
"It is important for us to continue to adopt precautionary measures, such as physical distancing, and wash surfaces and our hands and avoid gatherings."
Imam Abdul Rahman Al Shamsi, spokesman for the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments, said Ramadan would this year be marked in "unprecedented times" for the world.
Mr Al Shamsi said online platforms will be available for preaching services and to learn of the teachings of the Quran.
Fatwa Majalis will be held on Instagram and programmes will be broadcast on radio on a range of religious subjects.
Issa Al Hashemi, spokesman for the Emirates Council for Food Security, assured residents that the country was "giving great significance and priority" to food supplies.
Mr Al Hashemi said the country's food stock remained healthy and "capable of meeting all needs of the public".
Task forces had been set up to ensure food was available, from local producers and imported, during a challenging time.
Mr Al Hashemi said authorities were ensuring all essential food supplies were readily available, including those traditionally eaten during Ramadan.
Updated: April 23, 2020 02:26 AM