1.5 million votes cast in search for UAE brand logo
One of three logos will be chosen to represent the Emirates to the rest of the world
More than 1.5 million people have cast their ballots in a global design competition to select a logo that will represent the UAE to the world.
More than a third of the votes (33.5 per cent) were submitted from people aged between 25 and 34. The highest participation rates were from the UAE, India, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Morocco, US, Jordan, Brazil and Iraq.
Arab citizens cast 73 per cent of votes, while the remaining 27 per cent of votes came from the rest of the world.
Votes can also be cast at eight stations installed in shopping malls across the UAE, including Yas Mall in Abu Dhabi, Global Village and City Walk in Dubai, City Centre Sharjah and Matajer Sharjah, City Centre Ajman, City Centre Ras Al Khaimah and City Centre Fujairah.
The search for the UAE's new brand identity was announced by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President and Ruler of Dubai, and Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, in November.
The pair said the logo would be chosen before the end of the year - but did not disclose an exact date.
In a video shared with their millions of followers, they used examples of successful national brand campaigns, including the UK's GREAT campaign, Incredible India and This is Sweden.
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid said the goal of the new brand was to "tell the story of the UAE to the world".
These are the three logos:
Emirates in Calligraphy
This logo aims to emphasise the unique association and sentiment that the name "Emirates" brings to citizens, residents and visitors.
The logo depicts the aesthetics of Arabic calligraphy and authenticity of the UAE. The font's rolling curves are said to capture the flow of ocean waves merging with the sand dunes of UAE’s golden desert, representing the country’s geographical identity. The smooth movement of the letters is meant to symbolise the UAE's progress over the past 49 years.
The palm tree has long been associated with the Emirates and formed an indispensable part of its history.
The golden colour was chosen to pay tribute to the country's desert dunes. The lines are meant to suggest the momentum and dynamism of a nation on the move.
The palm tree was chosen as a symbol of the willpower of the country's leaders and people because palms can withstand storms and remain strong and firm. Their powerful branches are said to be as high as the ambitions of UAE's people, with leaves providing shade and support to millions of people living on the land.
Similar to Canada’s maple leaf and New Zealand’s silver fern, the palm represents the national identity of the UAE and sums up the country’s values of giving and pride.
The seven lines represent the leaders of the seven emirates who agreed to unite under one flag. Seven lines, shaping the map of the Emirates using the national colours, represent the unity of the future-focused leaders.
The vibrantly coloured lines are meant to reflect the UAE's continued development. This logo is also said to represent the diversity of UAE society which sets it apart as global hub for entrepreneurship and innovation.
Published: December 21, 2019 05:17 PM