Agence France-Presse and Press Association
Italy international defender Gabriel Paletta became ailing Italian giants AC Milan's sixth signing of the winter transfer window on Monday as he joined from Serie A strugglers Parma.
The 28-year-old, Argentine-born, central defender – who was a member of the Argentinian side that won the world Under-20 title in 2005 – signed a three year contract with Milan bringing to an end a spell of almost five years at Parma.
Milan coach Filippo Inzaghi will be hoping that Paletta – who was a member of the Italy squad at last year’s World Cup finals playing in the 2-1 group phase win over England – will along with the five other signings spark a revival in the club’s form as they presently sit eighth in the table, 21 points adrift of leaders Juventus.
Inzaghi’s other signings have seen two other defenders arrive in the shape of Salvatore Bocchetti, from Russian side Spartak Moscow, and Luca Antonelli (Genoa).
Spanish midfielder Suso joined from English Premier League side Liverpool – with whom Paletta also had a short unsuccessful spell in 2006/07 – and two strikers, Alessio Cerci, from defending Spanish champions Atletico Madrid, and Mattia Destro signed from Italian title challengers AS Roma.
Southampton confirm they have signed Filip Djuricic on loan until the end of the season ... a few days after the Football Association of Serbia (FSS) announced the deal.
Djuricic signs from Benfica, having spent the first half of the season with German club Mainz. The FSS said on its Facebook page on January 29 that a six-month deal had been agreed and suggested the move had been confirmed on Southampton’s official website, which was incorrect.
The governing body may have jumped the gun over one of its players, but was ultimately proved spot on.
Davide Santon’s protracted loan move to Inter Milan has been completed with Newcastle United confirming the full-back will stay at San Siro for the remainder of the season.
It appeared at one point today that the move might fall through after a couple of unfortunately timed Facebook and Twitter posts from Santon himself and his girlfriend respectively.
Injuries have limited the 24-year-old’s appearances in the last few months while the emergence of Paul Dummett and Massadio Haidara at left-back have pushed him down the pecking order.
Press Association’s Paul Hirst has been informed that “Anders Lindegaard won’t be leaving Manchester United tonight. His agent was looking for a new club for him but hasn’t found one”.
African football legend Samuel Eto’o is already in the bad books of new club Sampdoria after his failure to show up for a training session on Monday was described by coach Sinisa Mihajlovic as showing a “serious lack of respect”.
The 33-year-old three-time African player of the year – who helped Inter Milan to an historic treble of league, Cup and Champions League in 2010 – left the ground without an explanation following morning training and his attitude did not go down well with the famously combative Mihajlovic.
"He gave me no explanation and I consider that to be a serious lack of respect towards myself and the rest of the team," the Serbian handler told sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport.
Mihajlovic denied there had been a rift between himself and the player who signed from Premier League club Everton last week on a three-and-a-half year contract.
“There has to be two people to have an argument and he took this action on his own. After the morning training I didn’t see him or hear from him,” said Mihajlovic.
“I do not know why he left or what the club is going to do now,” added Mihajlovic.
Follow us at our new Twitter home @NatSportUAE