Report of attack threat as Games near finish line

Powered by automated translation

NEW DELHI // The security clampdown at the Commonwealth Games went into overdrive yesterday, a day away from the closing ceremonies as organisers revealed a third positive doping test in as many days. Reports emerged of a potential overnight terror threat but despite pre-games warnings of security issues, the Games which began on October 3 have been so far free of any major problems. Mike Fennell, the Commonwealth Games Federation president, said he was unaware of any "new, credible, specific terror threat" in the lead up to tonight's closing ceremonies and the men's and women's marathon along city streets.

London's Daily Mail reported that Indian intelligence had warned of a militant terrorist plot to attack Delhi today. It cited unconfirmed new intelligence indicating that the Pakistan-based Lashkar e Taiba group, which carried out the commando-style attacks in Mumbai in 2008, was targeting attacks in the Indian capital on the day of the closing ceremonies. Last week, the Indian military and police seized 10 improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, hidden in apple wooden boxes in Jammu city, an army officer said on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to speak to the media. Jammu, 580 kms north of Delhi, is the winter capital of India's Jammu-Kashmir state

The officer said the destination for the explosives was not immediately known. The Daily Excelsior, a local English-language newspaper, reported on October 9 that "the possibility that the explosives were to be taken to New Delhi in a bus by one of the militants, who is at large, couldn't be ruled out". The explosives were seized from four people, including a police official, who have been arrested, said a police officer also on condition of anonymity.

Fennell said yesterday that India's Rani Yadav, who finished sixth in the 20km road walk on Saturday, had tested positive to the banned steroid nandralone. Two Nigerian runners were earlier found to be positive for the banned stimulant Methylhexaneamine. Oludamola Osayomi was stripped of her gold medal in the women's 100m race while Samuel Okon, a hurdler, also tested positive. * Associated Press