Conor McGregor says trilogy fight with Dustin Poirier in July 'off' after donation dispute
McGregor not happy Poirier said the Irishman had not made good on a promise to donate $500,000 to his charity before their second fight in the UAE
Irishman Conor McGregor has told Dustin Poirier that their third fight slated for July 10 is "off" after an expletive-laden exchange on social media over a $500,000 donation to the American's charity.
Former two-weight UFC champion McGregor said earlier this month that a third fight was booked with Poirier as he aimed to avenge a second-round TKO suffered at the hands of his opponent at UFC 257 in Abu Dhabi in January.
But McGregor was not happy when Poirier said the Irishman had not made good on a promise to donate to his charity before their second fight in the UAE.
"A donation, not a debt. We've been awaiting the plans for the money that never came," McGregor said in one of the more family-friendly replies.
"500k with no plan in place," he added. "The fight is off... I'm going to fight someone else on the 10th."
Poirier replied by saying McGregor's team "never responded" to emails explaining where the funds would go.
January's lightweight bout in Abu Dhabi was noted for its amicable build-up, during which McGregor was decidedly less confrontational, although no less ostentatious, than he had been before previous high-profile fights.
McGregor, 32, has not won a UFC contest since January 2020 and came out of retirement to face Poirier again after winning the first meeting in September 2014.
The trilogy fight is due to take place at UFC 264, with the organisation's president Dana White reportedly keen to stage the event in Las Vegas.
Published: April 13, 2021 10:22 AM