Kalidou Koulibaly, once determined to leave Napoli for Chelsea, signs new five year deal
Napoli have resolved the future of Kalidou Koulibaly after the central defender signed a new five year contract to remain at the Serie A club, president Aurelio De Laurentiis said.
Koulibaly, 25, was a top transfer target for Premier League club Chelsea during the summer, but Napoli resisted all offers for the Senegal international.
Napoli’s resolve prompted Koulibaly’s agent, Bruno Satin, to reveal his player’s determination to leave Napoli.
“The desire of the player is to leave the club, not renew,” Satin said in July.
“We are told by the club that he is a great player but from the renewal on offer, we don’t see this.
“Last year they wanted to sell him, stating he was not focused enough, but then last season he has shown all his quality.
“Chelsea and Everton are still interested as they are both searching for a central defender of his quality.”
However, Koulibaly has performed a U-turn by committing his future to Napoli.
“I’m happy to announce that Kalidou Koulibaly has renewed his contract with Napoli until 2021,” said a statement on Twitter by Napoli president De Laurentiis.
Napoli sit top of Serie A with 10 points, one ahead of champions Juventus, after four games.
Napoli travel to Genoa on Wednesday, when Juventus host Cagliari in Turin.
Follow us on Twitter @NatSportUAE
Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/TheNationalSport
Published: September 20, 2016 04:00 AM