Jurgen Klopp leads widespread praise for first female Uefa Super Cup referee Stephanie Frappart

The officials had some big decisions to make and VAR backed their judgement in Istanbul

Powered by automated translation

The all-female team of officials for the Uefa Super Cup final between Liverpool and Chelsea in Istanbul has been widely praised for their performance.

Stephanie Frappart, from France, became the first female referee to take charge of a major European men's match, along with assistants Manuela Nicolosi from Italy and Ireland's Michelle O'Neill.

Frappart, who had previously taken charge of the Women's World Cup final and men's fixtures in France, saw a dramatic match go to extra-time and penalties as Liverpool finished triumphant.

But aside from another trophy for the European champions, there was plenty of attention on the decision-making of Frappart and her team.

Football fans took to social media to congratulate the officials, and Frappart in particular for her handling of the occasion.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp also spoke highly of Frappart and her assistants.

He said: "I spoke to the ref team after the game that if we would have played like they whistled, then we would have won 6-0. They played a brilliant game. I also said I wasn't happy with the penalty decision as I'm still not sure but it's not important anymore.

"They were good, they were really good. There was pressure on them like hell. It was an historic moment and they stayed themselves, stayed calm and did what they had to do in a very difficult and intense game."

Frappart awarded her first yellow card on 79 minutes when Cesar Azpilicueta fouled Sadio Mane. Liverpool's Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jordan Henderson were also booked. There was little sign of dissent from either team.

VAR played its part in the match when a Christian Pulisic goal was correctly ruled out for offside. A VAR check for Mane's second half strike also showed the officials got it right as teammate Roberto Firmino was onside when he set the Senegalese up.

Then, Chelsea's Mason Mount had a goal disallowed for offiside - and VAR proved it was the correct decision again.

The one point of contention was the penalty decision awarded to Chelsea in extra time when Tammy Abraham tumbled over the arms of keeper Adrian. Replays showed contact was minimal.

Adrian then moved slightly off the goal-line as Jorginho successfully took the kick, with the rules dictating that it should have been retaken.