FA Cup fourth round: Manchester City thump Burnley, third-tier Shrewsbury take Wolves to a replay

Doncaster into fifth round after 2-1 win over Oldham while Watford in Monday's draw after beating Newcastle

Soccer Football - FA Cup Fourth Round - Manchester City v Burnley  - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - January 26, 2019  Manchester City's Gabriel Jesus celebrates scoring their first goal with Kevin De Bruyne   Action Images via Reuters/Jason Cairnduff
Beta V.1.0 - Powered by automated translation

Manchester City's quest for four trophies continued with a 5-0 thrashing of Burnley to march into the FA Cup fifth round as League One Shrewsbury Town narrowly missed out on shocking Wolves in a 2-2 draw on Saturday.

City manager Pep Guardiola labelled talk of a quadruple as "fantasy" earlier in the week, but after cruising into the League Cup final in midweek, the English champions are in contention for a clean sweep of trophies as they challenge Liverpool in the Premier League and face Schalke in the last 16 of the Uefa Champions League.

The defeat left Burnley to concentrate on their bid for survival in the top flight.

Gabriel Jesus continued his hot streak with a fine individual run and powerful finish past Nick Pope to open the scoring with his eighth goal in five games.

Burnley wasted a great chance to level when Matej Vydra fired wide with just Ederson to beat and within seconds Bernardo Silva's deflected effort gave City breathing space.

Kevin de Bruyne's brilliant free kick then made it 3-0 and another wicked delivery from the Belgian forced Kevin Long to turn into his own net for the fourth before Sergio Aguero rounded off the scoring from the penalty spot.

"I'm delighted to have won the game, we have a lot of games in our life, and everyone was so professional and so focused," Guardiola said.

"It is important for everybody we know the tradition and here the FA Cup is so important. We want to go through and we want to play the later stages."

Wolves knocked out Premier League leaders Liverpool in the last round, but needed a late fightback from 2-0 down to avoid the shock of the day at New Meadow.

Rangers loanee Greg Docherty smashed the third-tier side into the lead just two minutes into the second half.

Luke Waterfall gave the Shrews a two-goal lead 19 minutes from time with a towering header from a corner.

They needed that cushion as Raul Jimenez came off the bench to give the visitors a lifeline and Matt Doherty levelled three minutes into stoppage time to save Wolves' blushes.

Shrewsbury manager Sam Ricketts told BBC Sport: "We played football today. We have to make the game hard and frustrate them but our first goal was real quality. Everything we work on.

"We were comfortable at 2-0 up, yes we are going to concede chances but we were comfortable. They are an excellent side, let's not hide behind anything.

"Our players can take a lot from that. Neither side will have wanted a replay but we will have another game. Don't write us off yet, we went to Stoke and won in a replay."

One League One side will be in the next round after a late Ben Whiteman penalty earned Doncaster Rovers a 2-1 win over Oldham Athletic.

Watford edged an all-Premier League tie despite Javi Gracia making 11 changes as Andre Grey and Isaac Success scored in a 2-0 win at Newcastle United.

On making 11 changes, Gracia said: "I believe in all the squad and it's not only words, you have to show it. And today the players showed it, they are working very hard in training and it means in games like today they are able to play at the level they have."

Newport County's fairy tale continues as the League Two side, who beat Leicester City in Round 3, equalised in stoppage time to earn a 1-1 draw at Middlesbrough.

Frank Lampard's Derby County moved into the last 16 with a hard-fought 1-0 win at League One Accrington Stanley thanks to Martyn Waghorn's winner 12 minutes from time as both sides ended with 10 men.

Swansea City also booked their place in Monday's draw by easing past Gillingham 4-1.

Two other ties will need a replay to find a winner as Brighton & Hove Albion and West Bromwich Albion played out a 0-0 draw, while QPR's visit to Portsmouth ended in a 1-1 draw.