Sean Dyche: Burnley sack manager after run of 'disappointing results'

The 50-year-old had been in charge at Turf Moor for nine-and-a-half years, twice earning promotion to the Premier League

File photo dated 23-10-2021 of Burnley manager Sean Dyche Who has been sacked the club have announced.. Issue date: Friday April 15, 2022.
Beta V.1.0 - Powered by automated translation

Sean Dyche has been sacked as manager of Burnley, the Premier League club announced on Friday.

"Burnley Football Club can confirm the Club has parted company with manager Sean Dyche, assistant manager Ian Woan, first-team coach Steve Stone and goalkeeping coach Billy Mercer," Burnley said in a statement.

"Dyche was the longest-serving manager in the Premier League, having been in charge of the Clarets for nine-and-a-half years, overseeing a period which will go down as one of the most successful in the Club’s history.

"During this time, the team was promoted twice from the Championship, achieved two top-half Premier League finishes and qualified for Europe for the first time in 51 years."

Dyche, 50, twice guided the club to Premier League promotion in 2014 and 2016 as Championship winners. While Burnley's first stint in the Premier League under Dyche only last one season, the club has spent six seasons in England's top flight at the second attempt, finishing 16th, seventh, 15th, 10th, and 17th in the table.

However, this season the Clarets are in relegation danger and sit 18th in the standings, four points behind Everton with eight matches remaining, and the club have acted now in an attempt to retain their Premier League status.

“Firstly, we would like to place on record our sincere thanks to Sean and his staff for their achievements at the Club over the last decade," Burnley chairman Alan Pace said in the statement.

“During his time at Turf Moor, Sean has been a credit both on and off the pitch, respected by players, staff, supporters, and the wider football community.

“However, results this season have been disappointing and, while this was an incredibly difficult decision, with eight crucial games of the campaign remaining, we feel a change is needed to give the squad the best possible chance of retaining its Premier League status.

“The process of replacing Sean has begun and further announcements will be made to supporters in due course.”

Updated: April 15, 2022, 10:12 AM
EDITOR'S PICKS