Pancake Day: where to tuck into stacks in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, and recipes to try at home
This year, Shrove Tuesday falls on February 25
It's Pancake Day on Tuesday, February 25. Celebrate Shrove Tuesday at various eateries in the UAE, all offering up something different. There are Lotus, Oreo and red velvet flavours to try, as well as classic stacks, an all-you-can-eat challenge and Asian pancake varieties.
If you're more of a homebody, scroll down to three healthy pancake recipes, with one vegan option, to whip up in your own kitchen.
49er's Steakhouse & Club, Abu Dhabi
As of tomorrow, Shrove Tuesday, Abu Dhabi's 49er’s Steakhouse and Club will be serving pancakes. To mark the new addition to the menu, on Tuesday, February 25, guests can enjoy a pancakes for one dirham, provided they participate in the eating challenge and get a stack of 25 pancakes (Dh25). Those who finish the towering stack in a single sitting can enjoy the meal on the house.
Tuesday, February 25; from Dh25; 49er’s Steakhouse and Club, Le Meridien Abu Dhabi, Tourist Club Area, Abu Dhabi; 02 645 8000; www.49ers.ae
Cafe Social at Mercure Dubai Barsha Heights
Celebrate with a stack at Cafe Social at Mercure Dubai Barsha Heights. The cafe is turning into a Waffle and Pancake Parlour for the day, where you can tuck into golden waffles or a stack of mini pancakes with unlimited toppings for Dh25.
Tuesday, February 25; Dh25; Café Social, Mercure Dubai Barsha Heights; 04 381 8888; www.mercuredubaihotel.com
Mediterranean Kitchen, La Mer, Dubai
Mediterranean Kitchen is offering up pancakes all day long on Tuesday, February 25. Plus, with every plate of pancakes ordered, customers can receive a freshly brewed hot cup of complimentary coffee of their choice. Flavours available include: toffee and banana, peanut butter, brownie, lemon and sugar crepes and classic style.
Daily, 10am-midnight; from Dh50; Mediterranean Kitchen, La Mer, Dubai; 04 874 8537; www.medkitchen.me
Miss Tess, Taj Dubai
Miss Tess is serving up Asian-style pancakes all week. Until Saturday, February 29, treat yourself to all-you-can-eat pancakes for Dh98. Between 6pm and 12am, enjoy Korean buchimgae, Japanese okonomiyaki and Thai hoi tod pancakes. There will also be a daily Dh30 happy hour deal from 6pm to 8pm, and 11pm.
Tania's Teahouse, Dubai
Cute Jumeirah cafe Tania's Teahouse has added Lotus pancakes to its menu, just in time for Pancake Day. The delicious stack costs Dh45 and now comes with multiple layers of UAE-favourite Lotus syrup, biscuits and whipped cream. It joins red velvet and Oreo-flavoured pancakes on the menu. Also available are Pretty Perfect Pancakes (Dh45), breakfast food that has been transformed into a cute animal or power-woman from the past, served with cream, sauce and fruit. Expect to be tucking into lions, bears ... and Marie Antoinette.
9am-10pm, Friday and Saturday, 8am-10pm, Sunday-Thursday; Tania's Teahouse, 779A Jumeriah Road, Dubai; 04 324 002; www.taniasteahouse.com
Make your own healthy pancakes
If you are on a health kick, heading down to a cafe to tuck into a stack of pancakes may not be on-plan. But that doesn't mean you need to miss out on the Strove Tuesday fun. Fitness First's Middle East nutrition manager Banin Shahine has written these three handy recipes to try at home, with a vegan option too.
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of dark chocolate chips
- In large bowl, mix all ingredients together until smooth
- Heat a lightly oiled pancake griddle or normal pan over medium heat
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle or pan, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake
- Flip the pancakes on the heated pan and ensure both sides are golden-brown
- Serve pancakes hot with some sliced bananas, and honey or dark chocolate syrup
Cinnamon bun pancakes
- 4 tablespoons of oats
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 medium eggs
- Mix all the dry ingredients and separately mix the eggs, vegetable oil and maple syrup
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients
- Mix well until the batter is of a sticky consistency
- Spray the pancake griddle or pan with oil and place it over medium heat
- Pour ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto the heat
- Flip them on the pan and ensure both sides are golden-brown
- Top them with fresh berries and raw nuts. Serve while hot
Vegan atayef pancakes
- 2 cups of wholewheat flour
- ½ cup of semolina
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water
- In a blender, mix all ingredients together until a sticky batter is formed
- Rest the batter for 2 hours at room temperature
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat without spraying oil or brushing butter onto the pan
- Scoop out and place the batter on the pan. Flip to ensure both sides are golden-brown
- Sprinkle some vanilla powder and serve with sliced fresh fruit
Updated: February 24, 2020 01:04 PM