Saudi girl, 2, who swallowed 27 magnets has life-saving surgery

Cause of child’s vomiting was identified only when she was taken to hospital two weeks later

The toddler underwent a lengthy operation. Credit: Saudi Arabia Ministry of Health
Beta V.1.0 - Powered by automated translation

A toddler who almost died after swallowing 27 magnets sold as suitable for children has been saved by major surgery, Saudi Arabia’s Health Ministry said on Wednesday.

The girl, 2, was taken to hospital with abdominal pain after vomiting regularly over more than two weeks.

Paediatric surgeons specialising in infants operated on the child at Maternity and Children Hospital in Hafr Al Batin.

The girl swallowed 27 magnets before a lengthy operation saved her life. Saudi Health Ministry

X-rays showed 27 small magnetic balls inside the girl’s intestine. They caused eight holes to form in the intestinal wall, the ministry said.

She had an operation to extract the magnets and seal the holes in her digestive tract.

The procedure, which took three and a half hours to perform, was a success and the child was discharged when her condition stabilised.

The ministry said she was now in good health.

Updated: May 25, 2022, 3:00 PM
EDITOR'S PICKS
NEWSLETTERS
MORE FROM THE NATIONAL