Syrian army resumes military operations against rebels in north-west Syria

Damascus blamed Turkey for not abiding by its commitments under a truce deal

CORRECTION / TOPSHOT - An aerial view taken on August 3, 2019, shows destroyed buildings in the town of Khan Sheikhun in the southern countryside of Idlib. The Syrian government agreed to a truce in the northwestern region of Idlib on condition that a Turkish-Russian buffer-zone deal is implemented, according to state news agency SANA. Air strikes on the Idlib region stopped after the government's truce announcement but the fighting since late April has killed 790 civilians in regime and Russian attacks, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor says.  / AFP / Omar HAJ KADOUR

The Syrian army said on Monday it was resuming military operations in a Russian-led campaign in north-west Syria that has uprooted tens of thousands and killed hundreds. It blamed Turkey for not abiding by its commitments under a truce deal.

Syrian state media said on Thursday the ceasefire would depend on militants fulfilling a Russian-Turkish deal that tried last year to create an Idlib buffer zone.

"The agreement to a truce was conditional. This did not happen. We resume our military operations against terrorist organisations," said the army statement.

NEWSLETTERS
MORE FROM THE NATIONAL