Coronavirus: Egypt declares night-time curfew to combat outbreak
Most public service providers will shut their doors during the curfew period, prime minister says
Egypt on Tuesday announced a nationwide overnight curfew, its most drastic measure to date to combat a coronavirus outbreak that has already claimed 19 lives and infected at least 366.
The 7pm to 6am curfew, which will go into effect on Wednesday and stay in place for two weeks, was announced by Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli as part of a new package of measures.
These included the suspension of university and school classes for an additional two weeks. Shops will shut from 5pm to 6am and will be closed completely on Fridays and Saturdays, except for bakeries, supermarkets and pharmacies.
Public transport and private taxi services will be suspended daily between 5pm and 6am. All restaurants will be closed for dining but will be allowed to continue delivery services.
Tuesday’s measures followed a tweet by President Abdel Fatah El Sisi earlier in the day in which he said a new package of measures would be announced shortly to combat the virus, which causes the disease Coved-19.
Already, the government has announced a ban on large gatherings, suspended international air travel and closed historical sites.
Sports activities have been suspended and religious authorities closed mosques and churches.
Updated: March 24, 2020 04:55 PM