Burial for former Yemeni PM injured in attack
SANAA //Thousands of people took part in a burial ceremony yesterday for a former Yemeni prime minister who died on Monday from injuries he received in June's attack on the presidential compound.
Abdulaziz Abdulghani, the chairman of Yemen's Consultative Council, died in Riyadh and his body was returned to Yemen for burial on Tuesday.
The US-educated Abdulghani, 72, served in several government positions, including prime minister three times, and was first appointed as a minister in 1967. He took the post of prime minister for the first time in 1975, three years before the current ruler, Ali Abdullah Saleh, became president.
He is being described by local media as the "black box" of Yemeni officials for his knowledge of their secrets.
Meanwhile, Ali Mujawar, Yemen's prime minister, returned to Sanaa on Tuesday evening.
Mr Mujawar is the first top Yemeni official to return from medical treatment in Saudi Arabia after the attack on the compound on June 3 which killed 12 and wounded several others, including Mr Saleh.
Sultan Al Barakani, the assistant secretary general of the ruling General People's Congress, said at the airport while awaiting the arrival of Mr Mujawar that Yahia Al Rai, the parliament's speaker, who was also in hospital in Riyadh, would return to Sanaa next week.
Mr Barakani did not say when Mr Saleh would return, saying only that "the decision rests with the president, and with his doctors".
Mr Saleh, who received severe injuries and burns in the attack, vowed last week to return home "soon". Protests calling for him to step down have swept the country since January.
Mr Barakani said the results of the investigation into the attack on the compound would be released next week.
He said the investigation, which was carried out with support from US experts, showed some opposition officials were involved in planning the attack. He vowed that the government will hold the opposition accountable.
"We were tolerant after the incident in the palace mosque and agreed to meet the opposition, but we are no longer holding out a hand to these murderers, these criminals and terrorists ... those who planned and carried out the attack," Mr Barakani said.
A western diplomat in Sanaa said the "spirit of retaliation" is growing among Mr Saleh's sons and nephews, who control a major part of security and military forces.
The warning of possible military action comes as Yemen's main opposition coalition, the Joint Meeting Parties, has called for people to overthrow the regime of Mr Salah.
"Time is not waiting and the situation of the country has matured enough …. the boys [Saleh's sons and nephews] should give themselves in to the revolutionists and go or face the ebb of the revolution which will sweep them away and end their usurp to authority," said Mohammed Qahtan, JMP spokesman,during a lecture at Change Square in Sanaa on Monday evening.
Published: August 25, 2011 04:00 AM