Anti-ISIS coalition admits 1,257 civilians killed since 2014
The coalition's Operation Inherent Resolve has reclaimed all ISIS territory
The US-led coalition battling ISIS in Syria and Iraq admitted on Thursday that at least 1,257 civilians had been killed in air strikes since Operation Inherent Resolve began in 2014.
The international coalition said it had conducted 34,038 strikes between August 2014 and the end of February this year.
"At least 1,257 civilians have been unintentionally killed by Coalition strikes since the beginning of Operation Inherent Resolve," it said.
The coalition also announced that it had received 147 reports of possible civilian casualties and reviewed only one, in February, which it found to be credible.
That report refers to a September 13, 2017 bombing on a munitions factory near Rawa, Iraq. Two civilians were wounded, the coalition said.
The other 146 reports are still open. Five that were closed and deemed not credible have been reopened "due to new information".
Airwars, which monitors civilian casualties from air strikes worldwide, estimates that at least 7,595 civilians have been killed in coalition bombing raids.
The Rawa attack was pointed out to the coalition by Airwars.
The tally offered by the coalition does not include air strikes in recent weeks against the last ISIS fighters.
The group's "caliphate" across parts of Iraq and Syria was declared to be liberated on March 23.
Published: March 29, 2019 03:29 AM