The family of a young man stabbed to death by a convicted terrorist in last year’s London Bridge attack are suing the government ahead of the first anniversary of his death.
Cambridge University graduates Jack Merritt, 25, and Saskia Jones, 23, were fatally stabbed by Usman Khan during a prisoner rehabilitation programme held near London Bridge.
Khan, 28, was out on licence when he attended the event organised by the university on November 29.
He had served a prison term after being found guilty of being part of a group that plotted to bomb the city’s stock exchange.
He was out on conditional release since December 2018.
Four days ahead of the anniversary of Mr Merritt’s death, his family have taken legal action against authorities over potential failures in the risk assessment of the convicted terrorist.
The family’s lawyer, Kate Maynard, said a claim would be brought under the Human Rights Act.
The Ministry of Justice and the Home Office are named in the claim.
Ms Maynard said: “Usman Khan was a convicted terrorist under multi-agency public protection when he killed Jack and Saskia on 29 November 2019.
"These circumstances raise questions about the assessment and management of Usman Khan's risk."
Ms Maynard said that the family had no choice but to bring the claim this week as legal action brought under the act must be filed within one year.
She added that authorities refused a request to relax the time limitation.
She said: "Regrettably, this left the family with no alternative but having to turn their minds to protecting their position by issuing proceedings, at a time when they were otherwise focusing their attention on celebrating Jack's life on the anniversary of his death."
Khan was tackled by members of the public on London bridge before he was shot dead by police within minutes of the attack.