UMM AL QUWAIN // A father and his seven-year-old son were hurt when a gas cylinder exploded in their apartment in the Al Belad area of Umm Al Quwain.
According to Al Ittihad, The National's sister publication, emergency services received a call at 11.45am on Saturday reporting an explosion in a residential building.
Firefighting and rescue vehicles were dipatched and the injured were taken to hospital.
The father suffered multiple burns to various parts of his body. His son suffered only mild injuries.
A preliminary inspection revealed that the explosion was caused by a gas leak in the kitchen, which was triggered when the power was switched on.