Manager jailed for three months for sexually assaulting an employee

The man denied the charges, but was found guilty of assaulting a woman in his office in Al Barsha in June last year

The manager of a private company in Al Barsha was sentenced to three months in jail for sexually assaulting an employee during a meeting in his office.

The Egyptian manager, 29, asked his Filipino employee to meet with him in his office on June 2 last year after working hours to discuss customers’ complaints.

“I felt something was not right, so I switched on the voice recorder in my smartphone before I got into his office,” said the woman, whose age was not disclosed in records.

She said the manager sat next to her and spoke about work for nearly 15 minutes before he started questioning her if she liked him. She said he touched her face, neck, chest and tried to kiss her lips, then he attempted to unbutton her shirt.

“I began to cry and asked him to stop, but he didn't and when he tried to touch my private areas I pushed him, so he slapped me twice and asked why I would make problems,” said the woman, who ran out of the office and called police.

An Emirati policeman, 35, said that he questioned the defendant. “He told me that he was discussing a customer complaint with the employee, then she screamed at him and told him it was not his concern so he snapped and slapped her,” said the officer, adding that the man denied molesting his employee.

The 37-minute voice recording the woman provided to prosecutors contained a conversation between the two. The criminal laboratory confirmed that the voices were of the manager and the victim.

In the recording, the accused was heard asking his employee about her reasons for checking his FaceBook page and whether she liked him. The employee was heard screaming at him, ordering him not to touch her and saying that it was not appropriate since he was her boss.

In court last October, he denied a charge of sexual assault; however, he was convicted on Sunday morning and will be deported after serving a three-month jail term.

Published: December 18, 2017 04:09 PM