London attack suspects freed on bail

Metropolitan Police in the UK said the men will return on bail in June and be reinterviewed.

Abu DHABI // Two men arrested in connection with an armed attack on an Emirati couple and their friend at a London flat have been set free on bail.

The men, both of whom are in their 20s, had been held in custody at a central London police station since their arrest in Kilburn last week on suspicion of armed robbery.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that the pair had been released and would return to the police station next month to be reinterviewed.

Police in England can hold suspects for 24 hours, after which they must be charged or released. If a serious crime was committed, officers can apply to a judge for permission to hold suspects in custody for up to 96 hours.

The men were arrested over a robbery on April 22 at a flat in Westbourne Gardens.

A group of masked men, two of whom were armed with handguns and one with a knife, forced their way in and stole two mobile phones, Dh14,900 in cash, two passports, handbags and a bank card. None of the victims were injured.

Police have said they do not believe the couple were targeted because of their nationality.

Officers from the UAE, including a senior officer, have been assisting the investigation and are in London working alongside the city’s Metropolitan Police.

cmalek@thenational.ae

Published: May 3, 2014 04:00 AM

SHARE