144 floors gone in 10 seconds: demolition day draws near for Abu Dhabi's Mina Plaza
Cluster of unfinished tower blocks will be razed to the ground to make way for major regeneration
Major safety work has been carried out and explosive materials installed as part of a plan to demolish an abandoned development in Abu Dhabi's Mina Zayed on Friday.
Mina Plaza, a cluster of unfinished tower blocks, will be razed to the ground to make way for a major regeneration of the port area.
Modon Properties, which will oversee the redevelopment, will also manage the demolition process.
The developer is working alongside a leading demolition company to ensure the process is carried out efficiently and safely.
The Ministry of Interior, Abu Dhabi Police, Abu Dhabi Civil Defence and the National Crisis and Disasters Management Authority are also involved in the safety project.
“We have now completed the drilling works, wrapping of columns and installation of fencing, demolishing of the ancillary buildings and protection of utilities," said Ahmed Al Shaikh Al Zaabi, director of delivery at Modon.
"We have also completed the transportation and installation of explosive material in co-ordination with the Ministry of Interior and Abu Dhabi Police GHQ.
"Dust, noise and vibration analysis reports have also been issued, checked and verified by world-class experts.
“Modon has developed a strategic plan that guarantees maximum protection and security, not only for the local community and the workers, but also taking into account the importance of preserving the environment.
"The approval of the action plan came after an assessment and analysis of risks, which included reducing the minimum level of disturbance that may result from the noise of the blast, as well as reducing the sound and vibration effects, in addition to controlling the level of dust that will result from the demolition.”
Following a detailed structural analysis for the Mina Plaza Towers – four large high-rise structures – it was confirmed that the buildings' 144 floors will be demolished in 10 seconds.
Appointed by the Department of Municipalities and Transport to carry out the demolition, Modon will soon set its sights on transforming the area.
The ambitious project – spanning 300 hectares – will include overhauling existing souqs and building separate facilities for fish, fruit and vegetable markets.
Earlier this week it was announced that the shops and markets in Mina Zayed will stay open during the area's redevelopment.
Abu Dhabi Media Office on Thursday said the shops will move only when construction is complete.
The area will be temporarily closed from 7pm on Thursday to 4pm on Friday.
Updated: November 23, 2020 08:49 PM