Sharjah will allow wedding receptions and social gatherings in hotels, event halls and homes to resume in line with Covid-19 safety guidelines from Sunday.
The directive was issued by the Sharjah Executive Council on behalf of Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Crown Prince and Deputy Ruler of Sharjah.
The emirate’s media office said official guidelines for the holding of such events, such as limits on capacity, would soon be announced by Sharjah’s Committee for Crisis and Disaster Management.
Social events and weddings – whether at home or in event halls – were halted around the country in March as part of efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Restrictions have been eased in recent months to help strengthen the economy as the world gradually adapts to life under the pandemic.
Dubai’s Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management allowed wedding receptions and social events at homes, hotels, halls and tents to resume last week.
Each hall can host up to 200 people, while parties at homes and tents should not exceed 30 people, with a rule of one person per four square metres of space in the venue.
The committee said guests should avoid shaking hands, kissing or hugging, and instead opt for “non-physical greetings”.
Face masks are mandatory at all times except when seated at a table of no more than five people and guests should avoid sitting facing one another.
The committee advised guests to ensure they maintain a distance of at least 1.5 metres.