ABU DHABI // The funerals of three young Emirati siblings who died after fire broke out at their grandfather’s house were held on Sunday in Umm Ghafa in Al Ain.
The children died from the effects of breathing in smoke from a fire that broke out in the kitchen adjacent to the bedroom they slept in.
Hameed, Reem and Mira, the children of Mohammed Juaan Al Shamsi, were aged 6, 4 and 3, respectively.
A baby sister, Rowdha, and their mother were taken to Tawwam hospital. The mother remains in a coma in the intensive care unit.
The fire broke out in the villa and smoke poured into the bedroom the family was sleeping in on Sunday at 1.30am.
It is believed the blaze in the adjacent kitchen prevented the family from escaping the room.
Their uncle Salem Juaan Al Shamsi said the injured were taken to Tawwam hospital at 2.30am.
Hameed Salem Bin Yarwan Al Shamsi, the children’s maternal grandfather, said their father was travelling on official business at the time of the fire and returned to the UAE on Sunday evening.