Emirati, 29, dies of electrocution in RAK

The deceased, Salem Al Shehi, was on the mountain by himself, Ras Al Khaimah Police said.

Powered by automated translation

RAS AL KHAIMAH // A 29-year-old Emirati died on Monday morning in Ras Al Khaimah while trying to drink from an electric water cooler.

RAK Police said Salem Al Shehi was electrocuted while trying to use one of the coolers on Jebel Jais, the UAE’s highest peak. He had been travelling alone on the mountain and got out of his vehicle to drink water from the dispenser.

Police had received a report about a man who lost consciousness on the mountain, said Lt Gen Ibrahim Mattar, deputy head of Mamoura station in RAK.

“We sent an ambulance and police patrol cars that rushed him to the hospital as soon as we received the phone call, but unfortunately he died at the scene,” Lt Gen Mattar said.

RAK Police are investigating the death based on preliminary information received, he said.

RAK residents took to social media to voice their concerns over the safety of the electric water dispensers, which can be found outside mosques and homes across the UAE.

Funeral prayers were held for Al Shehi at Al Jeer Mosque in RAK. He was buried at Al Jeer Cemetery following the asr afternoon prayers.