Wigan shock Villa

Roberton Martinez enjoyed a dream start to his Wigan reign as his side caused a shock at Villa Park.

Powered by automated translation

Roberton Martinez enjoyed a dream start to his Wigan reign as his side caused a shock at Villa Park, thanks in part to an early contender for goal of the season from Hugo Rodallega. Wigan were more assured with Martin O'Neill's side perhaps feeling the pressure of being tipped to challenge for a top four spot. Colombian striker Rodallega had already hit a post and seen an effort cleared off the line when he finally broke the deadlock after half an hour, his dipping effort from the right edge of the penalty a spectacular way to open his account. French winger Charles N'Zogbia set up the second on 56 minutes. He picked up the ball in his own half and drove forward before finding Jason Koumas in space on the left of the area, who controlled the ball before slotting through Brad Friedel's legs. Jordi Gomez, a summer signing from Martinez's old club Swansea, almost had a third late on with a 25-yard effort that was tipped round a post by Friedel. Man of the match: Hugo Rodallega (Wigan)

Goals from Mark Noble and Matthew Upson condemned Wolves to defeat on their return to the Premier League after a six-year absence. Noble silenced the home fans by making the breakthrough in the 22nd minute. The West Ham midfielder clipped a shot over Wayne Hennessey after being set up by England's Carlton Cole. Noble was given too much time and space before setting up his strike, and the home side were looking vulnerable at the back. Serbian international Nenad Milijas, a summer signing from Spartak Moscow, had a lively debut for Wolves and was their best attacking threat. Robert Green did well to turn away his shot in the 47th minute after seeing it late. Milijas then set up Sylvain Ebanks-Blake, only for the alert Green to block his effort. But Wolves were guilty of ball-watching in the 69th minute when West Ham went 2-0 ahead. Upson was allowed space at the back post and headed beyond Wayne Hennessey following a corner from Noble to seal victory. Man of the match: Mark Noble (West Ham)

Stephen Jordan scored an own goal and Ryan Shawcross also struck as Burnley were given a tough entry to the Premier League - 33 years since their last appearance in the English top flight. Shawcross headed Stoke ahead after 18 minutes at the Britannia Stadium before Jordan turned a Rory Delap throw into his own net. Stoke could have had a third before the interval but Ricardo Fuller had a header cleared off the line. Burnley were thankful to see Stoke's James Beattie volley wide, as they showed good spirit to try to get back into the game. Robbie Blake and Steven Fletcher both brought saves out of Stoke keeper Thomas Sorensen. Burnley also appealed for a penalty after Andy Wilkinson appeared to handle in conceding a corner but referee Steve Bennett was not interested. Man of the match: Rory Delap (Stoke City)

Darren Bent took just five minutes to start repaying Sunderland the £10million (Dh60.1m) they paid Tottenham for his services. He connected with Steed Malbranque's left-wing cross to nod past Jussi Jaaskelainen at the far post early into this clash at the Reebok Stadium. Steve Bruce's men went on to control much of the game and carved out several clear-cut opportunities without making their dominance pay. Bent and Kenwyne Jones showed signs of forming a partnership that could keep Sunderland well away from relegation. Bolton did create some better chances in the second-half, but Martin Taylor side-footed wide and Johan Elmander blasted an effort well over. Bent fired on to the roof of the net late on before Sunderland keeper Marton Fulop brilliantly repelled Sean Davis's 14-yard shot. Man of the match: Darren Bent (Sunderland)

A fortuitous goal from Bobby Zamora gave Fulham a winning start to the new season at Portsmouth. The striker didn't know much about his first goal of the campaign as his teammate Clint Dempsey's shot from 25 yards in the 13th minute hit him on the back and the deflection wrongfooted David James in the home goal. Despite their luck Roy Hodgson's side were well worth the three points and should have won by more as Andy Johnson, Dempsey and Zamora missed good chances either side of the interval to extend their advantage. Younes Kaboul spurned Portsmouth's best opportunity in the second half. He fired over after Hayden Mullins and Frederic Piquionne, had combined. After the match Fulham announced they have agreed a fee to sign the Newcastle winger Damien Duff. Man of the match: Clint Dempsey (Fulham)